Developments & Lake Lots / Bayview Villas - Centerville, MN
- Walkout lots
- No Snow
- No Mow
- Your own lot with your own private dock
- Great boating and fishing lake!
18 total lots 9 on the lake, 9 off lake with a private dock access and lakeview overlook.
Lake shore lots from High $700’s and up
Off lake lots with private shared dock from mid/upper $500k’s and up
The City of Centerville is Rich with History
Before the French-Canadian settlers established the town of Centerville in the mid-1800’s, Dakota Indians lived here in the 1600s and 1700s. At that time, this area was covered with dense woodlands and many square miles of marshes, lakes, and waterways.
The natural habitat provided the Dakota with an abundant food supply, including wild rice and a wide variety of game and fish. They travelled the waterways by canoe, reaching the St. Croix River to the east and the Mississippi River to the west.
The Dakota abandoned their settlement in the late 1700’s, but returned annually to harvest wild rice. The French-Canadian settlers found burial mounds and artifacts. Many items were excavated and removed from the area before they could be studied.
In the 1940s, archaeologist Harold Kohlepp examined and recorded over a thousand artifacts that still remained in Centerville, including pottery, tools, and arrowheads. He published his findings in an archeology journal, with Centerville featured on the cover.
The abundance of wildlife attracted many trappers and hunters in the early 1800s. In 1850, F.W.Traves built the first house here. Soon after, families from Canada arrived and settled here because it reminded them of their former homeland. Several descendants of these original French-Canadian settlers still reside in Centerville.
In 1854, settlers Peltier, LaValle, and LaMotte laid out and platted the town. They chose the name Centerville because of its central location from St. Paul, Stillwater, and Anoka. The City was officially established on August 11, 1857, when Minnesota was still a territory.
The downtown area of Centerville was originally known as the French Section. German immigrants settled farther to the west in what is now part of the City of Lino Lakes. The pioneers cleared the land for farming and agriculture, which became the focus of the area's economy. Businesses that supported agriculture followed. Residents formed the Church of St. Genevieve of Paris.
Children began to receive their school lessons during the winter of 1854 in the kitchen of a Centerville home. Many school buildings in town have come and gone since then. In 1917, children began to ride horse-drawn buses to school. The hot lunch program also began that year. Usually soup or hash was served, supplemented with sandwiches the children brought in their lunch buckets. By 1956, residents voted to organize our present Centennial School District #12. Centerville Elementary School was built in 1959 and has been added onto several times.
In 1971, the following streets were named to reflect Centerville's history:
- Mill Road - In 1854, Charles Peltier built a sawmill on Clearwater Creek.
- Mound Trail - Indian mounds can still be observed in this area.
- Progress Road - All the schools have been located on this road.
- Sorel Street - Many of the first pioneers were born in Sorel, Canada.
- Goiffon Road - Named after the pioneer missionary from France, Father Goiffon, who served as rector of the Church of St. Genevieve of Paris from 1861-1881.